Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Recovery Mode


Welcome, Maya, to the United States of America!

It was a long journey, but we made it home. :) Maya was quite the little trooper... I think she handled the flights better than Mom and Dad. Of course, she had a bassinet. ...I sure could have used one!
People keep asking me to post more photos, so here are a few from the trip home!
The 'Welcome' photo speaks for itself. :) The photo of Maya and I in the airport terminal is when we disembarked in Los Angeles. Maya's first step into the USA! Sooo incredibly happy to be in the US again! Very travel-weary though, after 33:40 hours of our journey.
The photo of Maya and I looking a little less frumpled :) was taken in our hotel room prior to our flight home from LA on Sunday morning. Maya was looking particularly adorable in her pink dress and little white sweater. The cute factor, btw, is very helpful when dealing with security personnel and immigration officials in all airports in all countries. :))
The photo of Ajay with Maya was taken in an airport restaurant where we ate breakfast in LA before embarking on our last leg of our journey home. This was Maya's first restaurant experience.. though she seemed oblivious to everything except her cheerios and Aj's bottle of Coke.
The following photo was a nice document of Maya's feelings about her first car seat experience!
Krista and Shannon, two little girls who live next door, decorated our house for us! It was so sweet and such a nice way to welcome Maya to her new home!
So now, 3 days later, we find ourselves in recovery mode. Maya has had some reaction to the travel and trauma she has been through. Her digestive system is just not functioning well, and she is horribly congested. We took her to the pediatrician yesterday, and she rec'd several vaccinations. I had no idea how traumatic that is for babies!! She cried all the way home (30 minutes). She then became sick from the shots - and has been running a temp of ~104 all day today. Btw - she only weighed in at 12 1/2 lbs. She is now on a hi-caloric diet.
We have been officially broken in as new parents!! In the past several hours, I have been vomited on, peed on, had many drippy nose wipes on various parts of my body, been chewed on, sneezed on, cried on, and intensely snuggled.
And I love every minute of it, as does Aj!! :) Of course, it would be better if Maya was healthy and we had managed to get more than 4 hours of sleep over the past 2 nights combined (not saying we enjoy parenting a sick baby - yipes)... but we expected and looked forward to this for a very long time!

Happy things:
* Aj figuring out that if you occasionally suck on the ears of a baby while a plane is descending, it clears the ears. Yes, sounds bizarre - but he figured that out from his scuba diving training. AND IT WORKED!!!!! Just a quick suck in on each side every now and then. I would not have believed it, but she started crying once and he did it - and she immediately turned into smiley happy baby.
* Maya turning, reaching out and whining to me when the pediatrician approached her yesterday. What a great sign that she is attaching well! Much better than expected.. even the doctor was shocked.
* Maya's crazy curly hair that I have no idea what to do with but do NOT want to cut! Looking for hair accessories is high on my list of things to do.
* Maya and our dog, Tasha, seem to be getting along so far. Tasha isn't sure what to think, and is a little put-out, but she rather enjoys the constant falling cheerios from the hi-chair. :)
* Watching Aj being an absolutely amazing dad! Yes, she is already a daddy's girl.
* Baby snuggles :)
* Being HOME together!!


7 Comments:

Blogger Nadra said...

Welcome Home Amy, AJ & Maya...love your updates. So glad that this part of the amazing journey is over. Now the fun part of parenting begins. Congratulations on your beautiful family.

Nadra, Charlie & Ian

7:07 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Maya~Welcome to the United States!!! We are all so glad you are home. Amy~Thanks so much for sharing your journey with all of us who long to make this journey soon too. I have really enjoyed reading all about your experiences. I'll be looking for more posts! Maya is so precious. She is a little doll!

Grace

9:10 PM  
Blogger Yeah So said...

Welcome Home! I can't get over that cute FACE!! So glad things are going well so far. I hope her tummy issues clear up soon.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, I'm so happy for you guys! Congratulations! Sorry I've been so absent, I had your blog saved as a favorite on D's laptop, but now I've got you in my Bloglines, so I'll be watching for updates. Welcome home, Maya!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Julie & Patrick said...

As I mentioned on the forum...I have looked forward to reading your new posts. Your story is so fun to read. Maya is adorable...love the pictures! Thanks for sharing your story it truly helps those of us who are still waiting :)

Julie (Seattle)

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

I am one of your sister Mary's friends and she informed us of your blog. I started reading it when you were in Kolkata right as you were getting Maya. I feel like I was a part of it somewhat. I am so happy for all 3 of you.

I think it is so sweet and funny how many entries you had before you got home with Maya and now there has been a dry spell- which is exactly how it should be. I think it proves what a wonderful mom you must be.

May God Bless You Always,
Don't do the dishes- just play with Maya.

Me

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Binghamton blocker spam Audiovox lcd televisions cosmetics company store st. augustine www pro car wax com australian shepherd jewelry Lesbian fedish video samples Expatriate travel insurance us

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home