Monday, June 12, 2006

A Quick Update

The US soccer team is playing in the World Cup tournament in a few minutes, so I am forced to be concise (which most readers would probably appreciate anyhow!):

A summary of today:

Interesting/cool things:
* We journeyed to Agra, and they are having a 'cool day' - only 104 today - whoohoo!! :)
* Our driver did not hit anything/anyone or get hit BY anything/anyone on the drive to Agra
* Indian driving does not make me nervous - our drivers have been amazing!! I could NEVER drive here. It seems more like bumper-cars at an amusement park than actual real-life road driving.
* I saw camels pulling carts on the road
* I saw elephants on the side of the road
* I saw men leading brown bears around by leashes. (Monkeys and snakes also (though no leash on the snakes) - but the bears were a bit of a surprise)
* I visited the Taj Mahal for the first time. WOW.
* Have I mentioned that I am a minority, and seem to attract quite a bit of attention? :) This is a first - and it amuses me endlessly.
* I found a bookstore!!!!

Annoying things:
* I cannot stand tour guides. I'm sorry - I try to enjoy them - but I hate them all. We were stuck with one today and all of tomorrow (Aj loves them.. so I say 'we', but I mean 'me'). I just want to photograph and soak in the culture. I like to people watch and do my own thing. Do NOT tell me how to photograph.. do NOT push me in front of a line of people (rude) to take photos.. and please do NOT make me stand outside when it is 104 degrees (even though you insist it is a COOL day) for 2 hours while you tell me every tiny detail about something that I'd like to know but cannot comprehend when my brain is boiling and I am looking for a soft grassy area to fall into when I pass out.
* Just b/c your hotel is a high-quality American chain - it does not mean that they might not have chains with leaking ceilings (buckets in the hallways to catch the leaks), mildew in the bathrooms, extremely damp (ok - wet) sheets, work being conducted that is using very smelly polyurethane-type chemicals that permeate every bit of air in the hotel.

Learnings:
* A 'Garden Salad' can mean the following: slices of tomato, onion, cucumber, carrot.. with one 2" x 3" piece of lettuce
* 104 degrees can be a 'cool day'
* Rivers can smell like sewers
* City streets can smell like sewers
* Interiors of tombs can smell like sewers
* Aj has a soft spot for poor people who are very persistent {this is very bad!!}

Only 3 more days before we meet Maya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home