Sunday, June 11, 2006

Ugh

Day 2: How long have we been here?? It feels as if we've been here for weeks. Probable cause: too much rich Indian food already. Other probable cause: major jet lag on top of heat.
Today we ventured out into Delhi - New and Old. It was HOT. It is currently 109 degrees... and we felt every one of them. The car was air-conditioned, thank GOD (though how cool can it get when it is 109 degrees outside - maybe 95?)... but we did a tour of a tomb, and spent ~45 minutes walking around it. Maybe not even 45 minutes. Felt like hours, and I think we may have dropped about 10 lbs in water weight. Too bad we probably gained 15 lbs from our (amazingly-fabulous but horrendously-fattening) lunch. The tomb, however, was very interesting and beautiful! Hopefully got some good photos... was very very bright and dusty outside, so unsure how they will turn out.

Delhi looks exactly as I thought it would. I have read some great books written by an Indian author whose name is currently escaping me - and she described it exactly as it is. I felt like I had been here before! It really was a bit disconcerting!

Learnings from the day:
1. Anything more than a very small amount of curry is too much {think - dripping with oil}.
2. 109 degrees is too hot to site-see.
3. Shopping in A/C immediately after being in 109 degree heat is not a smart idea - tends to diminish negotiation skills.
4. There are no book stores in hotels or anywhere that your driver wants to take you shopping. If you were stupid enough to forget to pack entertaining reading material, you will become intimately familiar with your India guidebook.
5. If you watch Hindi movies long enough, you begin to think you understand what they are singing. {or maybe it's the heat again} {or the curry}
6. Tomorrow will be more hot than today - suck it up.

Tomorrow we leave Delhi to journey to Agra. And yes, it is even hotter in Agra {though I cannot even imagine that}. Stay tuned... if we don't melt into puddles, I will try to update any interested readers again tomorrow.
Can't wait to see Maya!! Trying not to think about it too much, as we won't see her until Friday. :(

Btw - this blog entry sounds a bit down, but Delhi is amazing. I could write pages just describing the things I saw today that I found interesting. This post is just reflecting the fact that I ate too much rich food after being in the heat for hours!

In all of our travels, this is the first time that I feel I am actually experiencing a truly different culture. It is an exhilirating feeling. The history here is palpable... the people are very friendly... the sights, smells, sounds all add up to an experience like no other. Can't wait for Day 3! :)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home